© 2006-2014 Lodge H.L.I. The Royal Highland Fusiliers No. 1459
Taken from the original minutes:
Brother David Littlejohn, Lodge Regal 1422, serving as a regular soldier in The Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment), impressed by the number of men of his famous regiment who were members of the Craft, and who he had met at a Masonic Burns Supper, mentioned to several of them that it would be a fine thing if a Regimental Lodge could be Founded, and they there and then agreed. With the assistance of Brother John S Reid, Lodge Oatlands 1005 (Hon-Secretary of the Regimental Club) and Brother William Morrison Lodge Thistle and Rose73, a list of all known Brethren who had served or were still serving in the Regiment was compiled.
1. Brother Littlejohn convened a meeting for Sunday 16th April 1950 which was held in the heart of the Regiment, Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow N W, (in the Sergeants Mess). Permission having been granted by the Officer Commanding Depot HLI, Major C W Leckie-Ewing. 34 Brethren attended, and after a full discussion it was unanimously decided to apply to Grand Lodge of Scotland for a Charter.
(1) The Lodge would bear the name of “Lodge the Highland Light Infantry” (City of Glasgow).
(2) Colours would be those of the Regiment (Green and Buff).
(3) Founder Members Fees would be: £3. 3/-
" " Diploma: 5/-
Brother Reginald Smyth, Lodge Progress 873 was accorded a hearty vote of thanks for presiding.
2. At a meeting in the Sergeants Mess, Depot HLI, Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow NW, on Sunday 21st May 1950 at 3pm. Bro Smyth again presided and there were present 21 members.
The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.
In view of the difficulty in obtaining suitable hall accommodation in the City it was decided to use the Unionist Rooms, 1350 Maryhill Road, as the meeting place of the Lodge (these rooms are still there above a Pub called the Politician, directly across from the Old Guard Room).
3. Sunday 11th June 1950 at 3pm we again met in the Sergeants Mess in Maryhill Barracks. 18 members present, Bro Smyth in the chair. It was decided after a full debate and on a vote that the Regimental Crest would form part of our Lodge Coat-of -Arms. Also decided was that the "McBride" Ritual would be used.
4. On Monday 4th September 1950 at 7.45pm the Brethren again met, in the concert Hall Maryhill Barracks, 33 being present, it was intimated that Major General A P D Telfer-Smollett was agreeable that the Regimental Crest be incorporated into the Lodge Coat-of-Arms.
Brother Littlejohn submitted the petition to P G L Secretary Bro D Belford Stephen on Thursday 29th June 1950.
Commencement of petition: 29th June 1950.
5. Tuesday 26th September 1950. A meeting of the General Committee on Management was held in the Sergeants Mess Annexe Maryhill Barracks at 7.30pm to discuss matters relating to the Consecration and Erection. 21 members present.
Final Arrangements were concluded for the Consecration and Erection Ceremony on Saturday 2nd December 1950.
10. 2nd December 1950. Consecration and Erection. A meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Glasgow, in the Unionist Rooms 1350 Maryhill Road Glasgow NW on Saturday 2nd December 1950 at 3pm for the purpose of the Consecration and Erection, and Installation of the Office Bearers of Lodge the Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow) No 1459.
The RWPGM and his Office-Bearers, visitor’s friends and members, totalling 232, then partook of dinner in the New Gymnasium, Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow NW, permission for this having been kindly granted by Major R W Leckie Ewing, Commanding Depot Highland Light Infantry. Both he and Major General Alexander Patrick Drummond Telfer-Smollett, CD, CBE, DSO, MC, Colonel of the Regiment, were invited and graced the Company with their presence.
On the 1st February 1951 it was requested by Bro Ogg that he would be pleased to present the Lodge with a Silver and Gilt Master’s Chain with a Celtic symbol of eternal life in memory of his brother who died in 1943 serving in the Regiment. Also a Quaich, both are inscribed with the following inscription “In Memory of Captain Robert Allan Ogg J.P. The Highland Light Infantry who died in the service of his country, 21st March 1943.” Brother ACA Ogg was given Honorary Membership of the Lodge on 2nd June1952.
11. Regarding the Lodge crest, this was discussed at length and it was decided that it would be opened to competition within the Lodge. Nine sketches were submitted and after a vote, the one submitted by Bro James Mitchell was approved.
Two articles of interest can be downloaded below:
A short but very interesting history of the 71st Travelling Lodge 1801-1833 by Bro Gerry McAuley PM can be downloaded below:
(This is in PDF format)
Col Shadwell Henry Clerke 1836 to 1891 was a commissioned Officer in the 21st Fusiliers, he held high rank in masonry as Grand Secretary – the man who runs Craft Masonry. Attached is an article from the Rose Croix Communications, this publication a Masonic one is issued free to members and is reproduced in part by kind permission of George Hodge Editor.
(in PDF format)
(in Word format)
If you have any Questions or Requests please contact the Secretary on 0141 586 3758 or via email.
|Our Office Bearers|